I was sitting at Leadership Summit when Bill Hybels told a story of how he would take a note card and put down the goals that he wanted to accomplish in his next six weeks. He told a story of focus, measured success and accomplishment, and a very fruitful span of time. the principle of the idea was incredible. He begged the question:
“What are you going to do with your next six weeks?”
I recently saw another guy ask the question: “What do you want for your life over the next two, five, ten, or twenty years?” I read that and actually got overwhelmed. I don’t have a clue what I want, specifically, for the next year of my life! I have some dreams, but to specify what those things are would be a very distinct challenge.
See, six weeks is manageable. I can see six weeks in one view of the calendar (I have a big calendar.). I know that I can get things done in six weeks. I’m all for dreaming about what the next decade of my life looks like, but I can think in a much more tangible way about the next six weeks.
There is a little thing that Bill was identifying and I have come to know about your next six weeks. The next six weeks of your life can either be six weeks that lead you closer to a desired destination, or they won’t be. And then you’ll drift and flounder wondering why your existence seems so bland. The simple, clarifying question to change all that is, do you know what you want to do with your next six weeks?
So, I’ve developed six questions, to produce six manageable goals, to help me stay focused, productive, and give direction for my next six weeks. Maybe they will help you with your next six weeks? Check them out:
- What is the one “issue” that you need to handle for the next six weeks to be productive?
- What one thing do you need to focus on in the first three?
- What one thing do you need to focus on in the following three?
- What big thing is just beyond those six that you need to prepare for?
- What critical people do you need to connect with in the next six weeks?
- What do you need to do for yourself to stay refreshed in the next six weeks?
Now make your own. What do your next six weeks look like?